It’s lunch time! You are craving something easy, healthy and delicious? Wraps are the perfect meal that is light and tasty! With any meal (even the healthy meal) you have to make sure that it is indeed healthy and light.
Wraps are a good alternative to bread but you have to be mindful of what kind of wraps are considered healthy. The best wraps are high in fiber, minerals and nutrients. Before you prepare your wraps, make sure you choose whole wheat tortilla. Most assume that wraps are automatically healthy so many end up choosing wraps that is actually full of fat and loaded with tons of condiments and toppings, salt and sugar. That healthy wrap turned into a fatty wrap.
So when you are buying or making wraps, make sure to avoid flour tortilla. Do not pack the wrap with unwanted fats. I have a recipe for the perfect wrap that is healthy and will leave you stuffed and satisfied!
Spicy Chicken & Avocado Wrap
- 1 chicken breast (approx 180g), thinly sliced at an angle
- generous squeeze juice ½ lime
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 seeded wraps
- 1 avocado, halved and stoned
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar, sliced
- a few sprigs coriander, chopped
- Mix the chicken with the lime juice, chilli powder and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan then fry the chicken for a couple of mins – it will cook very quickly so keep an eye on it. Meanwhile, warm the wraps following the pack instructions or, if you have a gas hob, heat them over the flame to slightly char them. Do not let them dry out or they are difficult to roll.
- Squash half an avocado onto each wrap, add the peppers to the pan to warm them through then pile onto the wraps with the chicken, and sprinkle over the coriander. Roll up, cut in half and eat with your fingers.
- I can’t wait to cook this wrap! I love spicy foods and if you can have something spicy, filling and good for you then it is a win situation! So make sure you wrap it up healthy style.
Written By: Keke Waldon, Staff Writer, Modern Domestic