All couples argue, but the couples that know how to argue are the couples that last. This blog will offer five must-know tips for how to fight right with your significant other.
1. Avoid the yelling. Too often arguments turn into yelling matches. Instead, talk things out with bae rationally and keep calm.
2. Hear each other out. Cutting each other off mid-sentence heightens frustrations. Be an active listener and let your partner speak until he or she is finished.
3. Address each other with respect. This means absolutely no name-calling! Calling your partner out of his or her name will take things from zero to 100 real quick. Low blows like that are detrimental to a relationship. Remember your words can’t be taken back, so really think before saying something out of pocket.
4. Don’t push that button. Because your significant other is often the person that knows you best, he or she knows exactly what buttons to push to get you going and vice versa. Pushing those buttons only escalates the situation. Don’t let emotions get the best of you; stick to the initial issue at hand.
5. Apologize. Once concerns from both sides are addressed, apologize! Often, love requires putting someone else’s feelings above your own. Sometimes this means saying sorry even when you feel you have done nothing wrong. You have to realize when fighting right with your boo that it’s not a matter of who’s right or wrong; instead, it’s about understanding each other’s perspectives and owning mistakes in order to move forward.
Above all, the most important thing to note here is that it takes two! It takes two to argue and two to make-up. The choice to fight right in your relationship is a choice the two of you must make together; choose wisely.
Written By: Lauren McRae