Picture this feeling all over again! It’s November 4, 2008, Barack Obama was just elected the 44th president of the United States of America and Young Jeezy “My President is Black” became our anthem for months on end. Waking up Monday morning to the news that Mr. Edward Enninful is now the first African American male Editor in Chief of British Vogue is complete nostalgia and reminiscent to of that day in 2008.
This is huge EGL fashion lovers; to have someone who looks like us and share similar backgrounds and stories like us is amazing. A brilliant black man is now the face of the most celebrated and notable women’s fashion magazine in the world. This makes a statement to the world about race and gender that goes deeper then trends and threads. The New York Times stated “this decision is a barrier breaking choice” and we agree!
We are so inspired by Mr. Enninful and his fashion journey to success that we believe you need a “Edward Enninful Fashion crash course.” So get inspired and be ready to be motivated!
Here are 10 fashion facts you should know about our new British Vogue Editor In Chief:
1.Edward was born in Ghana, but at a very young age moved to London with his parents and siblings. At age 16, he got in break into the fashion world when he was discovered by stylist Simon Foxton and a model scout which lead to his career at I-D magazine!
2. He was the youngest fashion director of an international magazine at age 18 I-D in 1991!
3. Edward didn’t always plan to be a stylist because his family was big on academics! He thought he would be a lawyer!
4. He is bestiees with fashion icon Naomi Campbell!
5. Mr. Enninful was the former style director at W Magazine.
6. He was the fashion stylist/mastermind on set of the Balmain Editorial #phreshofftheRunway photo shoot featuring Rihanna, Naomi Campbell and Iman!
7. Edward was a former contributor at the American Vogue hired by fashion great Grace Coddington.
8. Last year he received his “OBE” (Order of the British Empire) for creating diversity in fashion.
9.He styled some of your favorite brand campaigns from Comme de Garçons, Celine, Christian Dior, and Fendi just to name a few.
10. He lovessss Instagram! In a recent interview with M magazine he stated “I’m so fascinated by the influence of social media on Fashion!”
We can not wait to see what he will continue to create for British Vogue as well as our favorite designers! Congrats Mr. Enninful from the EGL fashion squad. We hope to one day follow in your foot steps but for now we’re just gone to sit back and continue to watch you grow this fashion empire!
Written By: January Jones