Families aren’t always easy to join, but that doesn’t mean that they’re not worth it. Imagine meeting the perfect man but his mama’s a handful. Do you stay or do you go? Some women will opt out of such a challenging task, while others will take the bull by the horns and learn to adapt. Here are five tips that will assure a healthy relationship with your partner’s mother.
- Respect her position-Respecting her as his mom is the first way to earn both of their respect. Although he may have shared personal details of their relationship, it’s none of your business. Don’t try to incorporate yourself into their story but work on creating your own.
- Understand his childhood– Understanding his childhood is one way to identify with who he is as a man. While we all have a little baggage, learn to help him adjust his. He may be dealing with some issues that they haven’t found common ground on as of yet.
- Connect with her woman-to-woman– The thing that you both have in common will help you improve the most. She’s a woman so she understands what it’s like to adapt to a man and his family. Express yourself frequently and learn to use her as a listening ear. Incorporating her into your life will help her adjust to you as well.
- Avoid pointless arguments and disagreements– Don’t argue with her about petty things such as dinner arrangements, family vacations, or overstepping boundaries. Let him hold his mother accountable because she will understand it better coming from him. She will always love him but may never forget what you may have done or said.
- Try to understand the relationship between your man and his mother– Understanding their relationship may be complicated. While some mother-son relationships are toxic, others share special bonds. Understanding their bond will shed light on different situations in your relationship.
Written By: Tamara U. Butler