There are far too many cities that never make the cut when discussing travel getaways or compiling lists of the world’s greatest cities. The most popular cities are inevitably the first cities that come to everyone’s minds, but the world has so much more to offer. Just because it has yet to be mentioned on your favorite travel blog doesn’t mean it isn’t worthy! There are too many underrated cities to place all on one list, but here are five of my favorites!
- Durban, South Africa: Let’s start with the motherland. We all know how some people perceived (and in some cases, still perceive Africa). Between The Golden Mile, uShaka Marine World and KwaZulu-Natal Sharks Board, Durban proves itself as a city. The beautiful beaches, fine dining and cool art and fashion make it an ideal city to travel to!
- Lisbon, Portugal: While most people traveling to Europe opt for Paris or London, Lisbon is equally astounding. This hidden gem may be the most beautiful city in all of Portugal. Stop by the Lisbon Oceanarium or Jeronimos Monastery to see what makes so many people fall in love.
- Ha Long Bay, Vietnam: Having experienced this city firsthand, I can say with certainty that it is one of the most beautiful cities in Asia, and in the world. Known for its emerald waters, intrinsic caves and islands topped by rainforests, the scenery of Ha Long Bay is unmatched and definitely worth the trip!
- Iguazu Falls, Argentina: It’s like Niagara Falls—but better. It’s the worlds largest waterfalls system, and depending on where you are, you can see it from Argentina, Brazil or Paraguay. Most people don’t even know that it exists, but the views are absolutely spectacular!
- Vancouver, Canada: Toronto and Montreal usually take the cake when it comes to Canadian tourism, but Vancouver is among Canada’s greatest cities. Ethnically diverse. Mountainous and scenic. Bustling entertainment with thriving art, film and music. What more could you ask for?
Written by: Arianna Goolsby, Staff Writer, Modern Domestic