Does anyone remember when R&B music was great? Remember when it was the language of love and passion? There was a point in time when R&B was distinctive, the singers dressed a certain way, they had distinctive sounds, they could actually sing and the voice, lyrics and smooth delivery were all the selling points they needed.
One of the negatives of the take over of hip-hop and street culture is that it swallowed up R&B and the genre seems to have lost its identity. Many new R&B artists are visually and vocally hard to distinguish from rappers. They way they flow might as well be rap, everybody’s a jack of all trades so they sing and rap now, they sing over hip-hop/trap beats, and they leave nothing to the imagination anymore.
We all remember making slow jam mixtapes and CDs. Now CD’s and casette tapes have been replaced with playlists and streams, some of us desperately need to update our slow jam collection. Well, every year new music comes out, and it may be harder to find the good stuff but, it does exist! As important as the classic R&B from the 90’s is, a bunch of new music has come out that can also heat things up and give you that same feeling. Here are some new-school artists and tracks that are guaranteed to spice up your slow jam playlist and add some sensuality to your life!
- “Get You” – Daniel Caesar feat. Kali Uchis
- “Rounds” – K. Michelle
- “When We” – Tank
- “Don’t Matter” – August Alsina
- “Light On” – H.E.R.
- “Kitchen Table Remix” – Rotimi feat. Trey Songz & Ty Dolla $ign
- “Every Kind of Way” – H.E.R.
- “Bondage” – Marc E. Bassey
- “Wanna Love You Boy” – Tamar Braxton
- “Sexy” – Tank
- “Nothing On” – Tank
- “I Don’t Know” – Vivian Green
- “Dangerous Game” – 112
- “My Love For You” – Sevyn Streeter
- “Ol Skool” – Sevyn Streeter feat. Jeremih & Dej Loaf
- “Hard for Me” – Leela James
- “Crush” – Yuna feat. Usher
- “To My Bed” – Chris Brown
- “Covered in You” – Chris Brown
- “P.O.V.” – DVSN
- “Mood” – DVSN
Written By: Johnny Brownlee II
Follow Johnny on Instagram: @slin_k_polymath