As the saying goes, “history always repeats itself,” but who would’ve thought that the president of the United States would give us such a good example of that. Over the last 18 months, it may have felt that Donald Trump wasn’t for all the people. You know who won their campaign very similar to Trump? Hitler! Yeah, we said it. True, you can’t compare anyone to the atrocity that was Hitler but, there are a few times when Trump made us think that he was cloned by Hitler.
Here are 10:
- Proud German: Like Hitler, Trump was overly proud to be German. There is nothing wrong with being proud of who you are. He seems to forget that his mother was Scottish though. He claims to be 100% German-sound familiar?
- Superior Genes: Trumps believe that he has superior genes. They call it a racehorse theory. If you connect two racehorses, then you will get a fast horse. Believing that there are superior people in this world is very similar to how Hitler believed in a superior race of individuals.
- Name Changes: We know him as Donald Trump, but his family name went through various name changes. It was originally Drumpf, then Trum, Tromb, Drumb before they finally decided on Trump. Weirdly enough Adolf Hitler’s father did the same thing. Hiedler, Hüttler, Hitler, and Hittler were his actual last names before his father finally changed it to Hitler in 1877.
- Rise to fame: Essentially, both Trump and Hitler gained their support and popularity but putting down other groups of people that weren’t the ideal type. Muslim, Mexicans, gay or transgender.
- Political career: They both went into political careers with no experience at all. Hitler was an art student, and Trump was a business owner with passed down money.
- Slogans: Both campaigned on slogans but never any actual policies or plans. It’s possible because they weren’t experienced and used catchy phrases to get people going.
- Great again?: They both used the phrase “Great again” as if it was to imply that either Germany or America had a point where it was great. Although Reagan was the first to coin the phrase, Hitler also said “Make Germany great again” during his campaign.
- Significant hair trademarks: This may be stretching it but don’t you find it weird that these men in power have some odd signature with their hair?
- Deportation: Both suggested mass deportations. For Trump, he wanted to deport immigrants, who have criminal records and are here illegally. Hitler had a similar plan for the Jewish citizens in Germany. See Madagascar Plan.
- Identification: This may be one of the craziest suggestions. At one point, in 2015, Trump suggested that there be a national database to identify Muslims. This sounds very similar to the ID numbers that were tattooed on Jewish people during Nazi Germany.
You may agree or disagree, but you can’t help to see the similarities. Let’s just hope we can make it through the next four years without seeing these signs become a reality.
Written by Deprina Godboldo Staff Writer, Modern Domestic